Thursday, September 10, 2009

Business thoughts on Psalm 139

Psalm 139: 1-3
1"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. 2You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways."

As a Christian sales person, this is very encouraging and also very discomforting. After reading this passage, I began to think about what that truly means. As I go about my day, whether I am out on a sales call, or handling a customer service issue, or evaluating an employee, God is constantly right there with me witnessing my thoughts and actions. God knows my thoughts from afar? You bet He does. God knows when I start my day every morning and if I choose to be lazy and sleep in? Yep. That is encouraging in that I am held accountable for my sales practices. Some times all a person needs is a little accountability to keep them going in the right direction. However, it is discomforting just to think that God has always been right with me.... observing......evaluating. Have I always been ethical? Have I always worked hard? I would like to think that I have, but could I have done more? Given lower prices? Gotten up earlier? Handled a customer dispute faster?

There is no question that I have a new perspective on my every day habits. I need to always be careful about how I conduct myself and my thoughts. I need to wake up earlier to accomplish the things that are most important in life. While this is very challenging, there are best practices to help you get through each day.

1. Start your day off in God's word. I know this is hard and a million excuses pop into my head when I think about this. God knows these excuses and He doesn't buy them.
2. Pray. It's quite simple really.
3. Memorize this passage. This is no more important than any other passage, but for this particular purpose, it's a great one to memorize.

Try this for a week or two and see what happens. I guarantee you will look back and see a significant improvement in your life.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, that's good stuff. I agree with you. It's a poor excuse to say there's not enough time in the day, that's so not true. We must prioritze our selves and know He comes 1st and we are nothing without him. Pray, study the word, and take action in everyday life! AMEN!

    ReplyDelete